BOTOX® Treatment Instructions
BOTOX® Pre-Treatment Instructions
As you know, BOTOX® injections take approximately 5-14 days before you will notice the effect. Please remember that Botox treatment is only a temporary treatment only (usually 6 months).
1. Avoid taking Advil, Vitamin E, Ginger, Ginko, Bilboa, Ginseng, St. John’s Wort and Garlic for 2 weeks before treatment since this may increase the risk of bruising.
2. Avoid NSAIDS if possible (Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Vioxx) for 1 week.
3. Avoid Alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours before treatment since alcohol may thin the blood increasing the risk of bruising.
4. If possible, come to your appointment with a cleanly-washed face.
5. Preferably schedule BOTOX® Treatment appointment at least 2 weeks before special event (wedding, B-day, party, etc).
BOTOX® Post Treatment Instructions
1. Do NOT massage or apply pressure on the treated area for 6-8 hrs after treatment since BOTOX® Treatment may migrate to areas of undesirable effectiveness.
2. Do NOT lie down for 6 hours after treatment. Also Do NOT lean forward, shower, cook over a hot stove.
3. You MUST keep your head UPRIGHT for at least 6 hrs after injection.
4. Avoid yoga or other rigorous exercise activities, extensive sun or heat exposure, and alcoholic beverages for the 1st 24 hours after treatment. This may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the sites of the injection.
5. Avoid facials and saunas for 24 hours after treatment since this will decrease the chance of your blood pressure rising and thus decrease the chance of minor and temporary bruising.
6. Try to exercise your treated muscles for about 2 hours after treatment (e.g. practice frowning, raising
your eyebrows or squinting). This helps to work Botox Cosmetic® into your muscles. I t will NOT negatively impact your treatment if you don’t do this.
7. Headaches are common. BOTOX® Treatment is even used to treat headaches. However, if you have a headache we recommend you avoid aspirin or aspirin containing products. You may opt instead to use Motrin, Tylenol, and/or cool compresses. If headaches continue or worsen, contact your physician.
8. Avoid taking Advil, Vitamin E, Ginger, Ginko, Bilboa, Ginseng, and Garlic for 2 weeks since this may increase the risk of bruising. You may shower and do most other regular daily activities.
10. Note that any bumps or marks will go away within a few hours. If you do develop a bruise it will resolve like other bruises you have had in about a week. There is occasionally some mild pain, swelling, itching, or redness at the site of injection similar to most other injections. Redness may last for 1-2 days, rarely longer. You may apply cold compresses or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to reduce swelling or discomfort.
11. Results of your treatment may take up to 14 days to take full effect although many people will recognize the benefits in 3-5 days after treatment.
12. Botox Cosmetic® is a temporary procedure. In most people the benefits of BOTOX® Treatment last about 6 months. Sometimes a few wrinkles may start to return in 2-3months. The effectiveness of Botox will last longer with successive treatments.